Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day # 68-ish Lost in Bangkok

First of all, I thought I had seen and done a thing or two in my life.  Let me tell you Brothers and Sisters, I ain't
done doodly.   Until today that is.  Today I had a graphic demonstration of the transient nature of life.  I also looked at a whole bunch of Buddhas, but that is not where the transient bit came in, although that is part of the teachings.

                                                              Many, many Buddhas

                                                                        Wat Pho

No.  The fleeting and temporal thing that is life was clearly illustrated to me via a motorcycle taxi ride through Bangkok at rush hour.  I lived, I am glad I did it and life is sweet right now.

I walked the city of Bangkok hours and hours today.  After the amulet market and Wat Pho and a traditional Thai massage and climbing the Golden Mount, I thought I had a lock on my guesthouse location.  No such
luck.

                                                   The stupa atop the Golden Mount

                                        Well, the guest house is out there somewhere:  Bangkok

Bangkok is a labyrinth.  In fact, it reminds me of Lisbon in that and address is only a theoretical starting point for finding something.  Even with the address a whole bunch of cops, cabbies and even a retired diplomat have to agree that such a place actually exists in the collective consciousness before it will exist as a place someone will take you to.  Even on a tiny moto weaving through spaces that aren't physically possible.  

Here's a tip:  keep your knees tight to the bike.

Amazing day, amazing city.  Noisy frantic, laid back and beautiful all at the same time.

Tomorrow is a bicycle tour!!  Damn.  

No time to edit this as the meter is running.  Ciao.  

1 comment: