Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mae Na Chon

Safely stopped for the day at a fairyland of a guesthouse that feels like Rivendell. My bungalow juts out over the river and has a slat floor that you can see through. There are open exes and a lovely big bed with mosquito netting. The profits from the guesthouse benefit the attached school for 50 kids from hamlets too small to support their own schools.

                                                            Did Elves build this place?

I started the day climbing to the Qar above Mae Hong Son to watch the sun rise over the misty valley. I was still fighting some tummy troubles but so what.

                                                          Morning in Mae Hong Son

                                             This Wat was my next door neighbor.  Cool, huh?

Back down to town I packed and road south. The day was perfect sunny and warm. I was near the "long-neck" villages but took a pass as they seem like human zoos to me. I did stop to see two elephants. Oh well.


I rode south, eating up the kms and the twisty loveliness. At Mae Surim I stopped for noodles while the local village women watched. I was urged to go to the Wat which I did, down a path just wide enough for the bars of the moto.

                                                Yuppers, that is really a noodle shop

The Wat was a little gem and a beehive of construction on an obvious volunteer level. The head monk greeted me while daily teachings went out over the village loudspeakers from a sophisticated stereo set-up.
I saw the donation "tree" and quickly added 20 baht. I was toured by the monk, then given a goody bag of fresh tamarind, bananas, water and soy drinks. Why didn't I donate 100 baht?!?  While I was trying to strap the goods on the moto, the monk blessed the moto and then me as well.

                                                Blessings from the monk and tears from me

I left the Wat and then the main road. I was allowed through another rebel checkpoint a rode a 50 km loop through heaven and then back to the main road.



I headed east on the road to Mae Chaem. I hit reserve and kept going but saw no fuel. Finally I stopped in a hamlet and had my first village gas event. While the shop keeper was summoned the folks turned out to watch. Four liters from a gravity fed barrel to a lychee with a spout and I was on my way after goodbyes and email exchanges.

                                                          This is really a gas station

And here I am and so is my dinner.
Be well.
Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment