Thursday, February 10, 2011

Broken

Today Laos showed me beauty, simply prosperity and heart-breaking poverty.
With Khoun driving the ancient army jeep, Jan and I rattled and bounced across the Lao countryside.


Our first stop was the Kwang Si waterfall, arriving early to avoid the tourists. The azure pools glistened in the morning sun as it filtered through the jungle canopy. Fall after fall came into view Aa we climbed up the trail. The place is simply magic.


Next was a prosperous Khmer village along the Mekong. I learned how the houses are but now versus the past, looking at newer concrete houses and traditional teak houses roofed in rattan thatch that were over a hundred years old. The place was wonderful and the people were very gracious and welcoming.


The third stop was a very poor Hmong village. Khoun knew one of the women who lives there. Jan and I had bought Cannes Tuna and noodles and some produce as gifts. When I saw the eyes and ames of the children that crowded around us I cursed myself for a fool for not bringing cases of canned food or dry food instead of the two bags we had. My heart was broken.


Today I just want to sell all my crap and go to work for some NGO somewhere near here and try to make a difference.

Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment