Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bigger Mango

I did the Chao Praya river express to the Royal Palace and Wat Pra Kaeo, the two crowning jewels in Thai culture and Bangkok tourism. One is the ceremonial center for Royal events and the other is the home of the Emerald Buddha (which is Jade and Gold by the way).
OK, despite the sun wilted and debilitated tourists, this is an amazingly beautiful site to see. The murals alone are worth the price of admission which us very steep by Thai standards. I did several hours there between the palace grounds and all of the incredible Wat buildings including, of course, making merit at the Emerald Buddha.


I can only tell you that you should not miss this if you are in Bangkok, go early if you can because it gets beasty hot and meantime look up some pictures online or check back when I add some once I get stateside and unjetlagged. No uploading tech with the little I-touch.
The evening, after sitting out some heat on the shady terrace, was spent riding the beauteous Metro way out North to Vespa Market. It's a sort of punk-scooter crowd sell and buy, full of vintage moto gear, good food, kitsch and junk and no farang. It was so fun!
Metro'd back to town, stopping at Silom to walk the insane Pattaya night scene, smiling and enjoying being only a completely amused and appreciative observer as other folks toddled off for their preferred shock or naughtiness. A lot of straight Europeans couples were heading up Soi 2 to check out the Boys.
I stayed on Pattaya for the mostly direct walk home, twisting through Chinatown to do it.
So this is my last full night of sleeping in Bangkok, even though I don't leave for the airport until midnight tomorrow. And it was a good night, a really good night.
I really don't believe it will be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment