Friday, February 18, 2011

Big Mango



I finally returned to Bangkok after 11 hours on the "sleeper" train from Nong Khai. While the berth was very cozy and I had the room to myself for the first part of the evening, the track itself was so rough that sleep was almost impossible. I managed three hours and the rest of the time drifted about in my little consciousness
I arrived to find Bangkok shaking off the end of the "cool" season. It was like a sauna at 8 am. Stowed my bag, had a BK train station shower, which no traveler should miss, and headed out into the steaming alleys of Chinatown to find my guesthouse.


I love Chinatown. It is a labyrinth of twisting alleys which no map and certainly no written address can tame. To find anything that is not at major intersection requires luck and patience and often more than a few tries.
On the third lap I stumbled on the little dead end soi that held the GH, but my first choice was full up. Steps away was another friendly little spot that seems cavorts by French travelers. Fine by me, air-con and a bath for 700 baht per night. Since I have to leave for the airport at midnight tomorrow I booked for two nights just to relax and last minute shower.


Life is good but I fear leaving the Big Mango will not be.
Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment