Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day # 20 Take the Power Back

First, there was no entry for yesterday.  The reason that there was no entry is that life had placed enough events in that twenty-four hours, some pleasant and humourous, some not so much, there simply was no time left over.

Here is what I learned today:  regardless of whether or not one is watching the news, someone else will mention, with a concerned voice, that the end may be near.  This may, indeed, be true.  As Mr. Hume so cleverly reasoned, just because the sun came up today is no guarantee that it will do so tomorrow.

I am in no way saying that it is impossible that some maniac from the Korean Peninsula might choose to lob an atomic weapon at someone else thus sparking Armageddon.  It could happen.  Then again, it could also not happen.  We as a species have been predicting the imminent destruction of the entire world at almost every significant juncture of history.  You name it, the world was coming to an end.  I guess the exception to this was the end of the Nineteen Century when fin de siecle almost bored everyone to death but hey, it was a possible ending.

I personally think that all the North Koreans really want, like most of us, is food and a way to keep warm.  If black-mailing the West gets them that, hey, I guess its a method, albeit a scary one for lots of folks.  Not that I am specifically watching the news about this issue (because I'm not, so there) but if the rumblings are true there is something afoot and the something could be, once again, the end of "us".

"Some say the world will end in fire
Others say in ice..."

Mr. Frost has both the quick nuclear ending and the slower climate change ending covered.  I suspect that we will be carping about the possibilities for a bit longer than we imagine but remember Mr. Hume as well.

The second thing I learned today was this:  Regardless of whether or not listening to music makes me a calmer and more understanding driver than listening to the news, listening to "Rage Against the Machine" (much as I love those crazy guys) makes me neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment