Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day # 23 The Red Suit

News flash for today:  Man in Red seen in West Seattle!!  No media required for verification.

One of my small roles in my community of West Seattle is that of Santa Claus.  For the West Seattle Junction Merchant's Association and more than a few of my friend's and neighbor's children, I am the Man in the Red Suit.

We don't run a slick cattle chute photo operation like the malls.  Our little Santa meet and greet raises money for very local charities.  At the risk of tooting the communities horn as well as my own, our little cadre works hard to provide all of the kids, parents and sometimes even the boys from the local tavern as much time as they need to tell Santa all about their wishes, time to get comfortable with the Red Suit or time to just sit and cry if need be.  No one gets turned away, not the afore-mentioned guys from the tavern, not the snickering teenagers, not the crazy lady with the doll or even my smart-assed friends coming for a chance to sit on my knees and give me grief.

Santa has time for everyone.  Always.

I love being Santa.  I dig it all, like today's opportunity to hold a three-week old baby boy, the way all of the people on the street wave and say hello or try out their "Ho-ho-ho", the gleaming smile of a four year old kid and even the crazy flirting thing that some woman just feel they have to do.  "I've been really naughty this year Santa..."  You would be amazed how frequently that line comes up.  It always gives Mrs. Claus the urge to backhand someone.

Four times during the holiday season I get to don the Red Suit and play Santa.  For the next three Sundays I am doing the West Seattle gig and I now do one day at Child Haven.  For me, being Santa is as close to play-acting a Bodhisattva in disguise as I will probably ever get in this life.  Over the course of each four hour gig, I have to concentrate completely on the little person or persons in front of me.   Little kids come to see Santa filled with hope and desire and sometimes shyness or fear all rolled up into little velvet or sweatered packages.  The children walk through the door and suddenly there is the reality of a big guy with a big beard in a big red suit in a big chair.  My role, from the moment I see them waiting their turn, is to meet them on their level, pour out child-like compassion, joy and curiosity and try to make them know that they are the most important being in that room.  What a learning opportunity for me!!  What a challenge to be a better person.

For five years I have been doing the Santa gig and each year the merchant's spring for a bunch of gift certificates to local businesses as my reward.  Ha!  Today I got to hold a three-week old baby boy while the entire room melted in love.

I should be paying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment