Friday, December 10, 2010

Day # 28 Storage

Here is one of those Pollyanna entries of how because I am not listening or reading the news 230 minutes a day I have so much more time to make the world a better place and myself a better citizen in it.

Because I am not listening to the news, I am occupying my commute to the salt mines listening to music instead.  I am playing discs since KEXP, my mainstay of sanity, cuts in and out going through the Mordor that is Kent and Auburn.  Sorry, I know that Auburn does bill itself as the Cultural Center of South King County, but if you can't get a clear KEXP signal, well, how much of a center of anything are you really? Or is that Kent that's the CC of SKC?  Whatever, its baloney either way.

My new method for music selection is reach into the CD cabinet (its a big one folks) and grab a large handful of jewel boxes.  No sorting, or not too much anyway.  Due to the random nature of the grab and dash, I am listening to discs that have been moldering away since before my news boycott when I engaged in the 80/20 rule, playing 20 percent of my music 80 percent of the time.  Its the same with t-shirts for most of us.  Check it out, you know its true.

While I have this big stack of discs in the truck or messenger bag on the moto,  I figured I might was well digitize all of these tunes.  Normally I only kept as much music in my I-tunes library as I could store on my nano, but since I got the 16 Gb Touch, I can't seem to come close to filling it up.  What exactly do people store on the 32 Gb or the 64 Gb I-pods?  The entire Encyclopedia Britannica?  Wait, that's been replaced by Wiki, right?  So while I am puttering away in my office trying to keep the doors ajar for commerce to flow, I load another 20 discs into my library and then onto my I-touch.  Since I have only managed to fill up about 5 Gig of my gizmo, I am just going to keep loading.  If I am flying for 24 hours to get to Bangkok, I might as well be packing heavy on the tunes.

In this process I have discovered that I still like most of my old discs, even the stuff I forgot I had.  Like the "Replacements" doing the song Alex Chilton which I managed to play right after playing "Big Star".  (Alex Chilton is dead, Long Live Alex Chilton!  You Rock Dude!!)  OK, there are a few clinkers in there, but mostly I bought the discs for a good reason in the first place. Its like tooling around while getting reacquainted with old friends.  Besides, how often do I get to listen to David Bowie and Vampire Weekend in the same drive?

No comments:

Post a Comment