Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day # 18 Dante's Bumbling Cousin

No news.  So there.  Counting Crows on the way to work and the sound track from Grosse Pointe Blank on the way home.  Yeah, Baby!  I was getting my 80's groove on.  Hey, The Specials and The Clash still hold up for me Rudie!  I can say that I am being a nicer driver listening to tunes instead of news.  This seems to be at trend although I could be delusional.  It has been known to happen.  Either way, I am running through a whole lot more CD's.

Today's lesson was that when you are not watching or listening to the news all the time, you have more time for helping friends, even if you only help them by showing them how not to do things.  A friend of mine, who is truly a good person going through what my Gram used to call "a rough patch", asked me to accompany her to the orientation at a local Buddhist monastery of which I am a member, albeit not a very active member.  My friend was feeling a little less than confident and did not want to go alone.  Our local Buddhists aren't quite as intimidating as say your Pentecostal snake handlers, but it was a new thing and I was outwardly happy to go with her and inwardly full of trepidation.

The last two years have not exactly been my strongest spiritual phase, so I was already feeling a bit fraudulent.  Before we even set foot inside I managed to forget to walk clock-wise around the stupa in front of the building even as my friend said "Clock-wise, right?"

It was as if Dante had a really challenged second-cousin who, out of charity, was allowed to give the tour of Purgatory on Dante's one day off each year.  He could not be trusted with the Inferno or Paradiso, of course, because he forgot all the names of the important sinners, got lost, made references to the Easter Bunny and then had the tour group take the wrong bus out so everyone ended up in hell and had to be rescued, Evangelicals and all.

Beginner mind.  Never a problem for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment