Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day # 16 Turnabout

There was no outside news for me today.  There did not need to be.  My son leaves tomorrow to fly back to Tucson and I hate that.  As always, I spent the day pretending the impending departure doesn't matter, not wanting to spoil the day and as always, by the end of the day, I have become dark and resentful while trying not to let it show.

I have no insight, no creativity and no humour to make this any better.  I have never gotten even passable at dealing with this and it does not seem that I ever will.  Tomorrow I will put The Kid on a plane, he will fly off and I will head to my office to resume my regular routine.  Yes, he will be back in a month.  I don't care, I hate it that he is not here, I hate the distance, the literal miles, that are between us.

I want to turn and raise my hands in supplication that this not be true.  If he looked back and saw me, he would ask "What's with the hands, Dad?"

I profess the desire to be able to see things exactly as they really are.  I seem to want this ability, this clarity of perception, right up until I have to look at a thing which, exactly as it is, causes me intense grief.  Then I don't want to see it so clearly after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment