Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day # 6 Voyeurs and Butt Paint

Butt Paint  I did not pursue the news today.  I did not read the papers, watch television or listen to the radio.  However, news, being what it is, made its way into my life but it did so within the allowable parameters established at the beginning of this shindig.  It seems that the TSA shenanigans have so irritated people that news of the tempest was transmitted to me by word of mouth in my very office.  In truth I had already known about the full body scanners since I have seen them at SeaTac where I pick up and drop off my genetic envelope at least once a month.  Because The Kid is still 15 the airline lets me have a standby pass to go through security so I can take him to the gate and wait with him, a rarity these days.  Thus I have the privilege of dealing with whatever security screening is in place on any given month.  Up to now the scanners have not actually been in use but may be by the time I head to the gates with The Kid after Thanksgiving.

You may ask what in THE hell this has to do with Butt Paint?  Well, The Kid and I decided that it would be fun to find some sort of metallic based novelty makeup with which to write messages on our body parts so that when we get the full body scan we could also send the printed word to the viewing TSA operatives.  In all probability the TSA folks would not view such activities in the spirit intended and yank us from the scanner to pat down our junk, but that is a risk we are willing to take.  Or so we say.  The messages could range from the simple, such as an arrow on the belly pointing down with "Junk" written above it or something more political such as "Why the Hell aren't you scanning all of the checked luggage where someone is much more likely to put a freakin' bomb you silly bureaucrats" although we will need to write fairly neatly to get that all legibly on one body part.

Voyeurs  The suggestion was made to me that the act of reading about another person's struggle with obsessive behavior turns those persons from readers into voyeurs.  I cannot argue that this suggestion is without truth.  Yet if we look at the Web, reality TV, YouTube or Facebook, what else do we find but opportunities for voyeurism.  What is "The Biggest Loser", besides a tragedy, if not an enormous voyeuristic window on other peoples suffering?  By the way, my Kid has an alternate title for TBL which is "Fat People Crying".

My little blog may incite voyeurism from someone if anyone actually takes the time to read it.  And I would admit that I may be calling attention to the ubiquitous nature of modern voyeurism to excuse the same in my own tiny corner of the blog world.  It is like hiding a little tree in a damn big forest, it works really well.

So I am going to let this one go.  Today I listened to Son Volt instead of All Things Considered and I think that maybe, just maybe, I was a little more calm on the drive home.   I am still sure that They are up to something and if I am not constantly vigilant the Evil-Doers will get away with it but I suppose it is a risk I will have to take.  Again.  Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment