Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day # 9 The Funnies?

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!  A lovely day chock full of possibility.  Like drag racing, football, drinking beer and beating your spouse or spiritual renewal.  Sunday is also the only day that I take the time to read the funnies in the Seattle Times.  Until today that is.

This morning, a late morning following a German Sparkle Party, I was asked if I wanted to read the comics.  I automatically said no as the comic section is obviously a part of the whole that is the Sunday newspaper.  But is it news?  Frazz is certainly not news, although it is one of my favorite comic strips.  Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine aren't concerned with current events, focusing instead on puns and cat humour.  Ah, but there is Doonesbury, which I have read for many years.  Mr. Trudeau indeed has a political ax to grind and while it is an ax wielded for the same side, usually, that I stand for, it does not pass the news sniff test.  So when tempted a second time with an offer of the comics section, I refused for a second time.

A Sunday without the funnies.  It was a day that included, well, not much.  The morning contained the completion of "Romeo and Juliet" because without the news, where does one find tragedy?  I was able to confirm that Bruce "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell was in most, but not all, of Sam Raimi's movies, a quest for information that was spawned by re-watching "Intolerable Cruelty" and seeing Mr. Campbell as a soapbox doctor on a TV screen in the movie.  The only societal contribution I made today was plunging one of our tenant's toilets, because she is in her nineties and uses a walker.  I don't feel the need for lots more descriptors  for that little incident.

A Sunday without news, without the promised snowfall and without the funnies.  Based on the lack of the first, I suppose it was a day spent successfully resisting obsession as well, but mostly I did exactly as I pleased which did not add up to much.  How glorious once in a while!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment