Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day # 187 So Far

I suppose this is a progress report of sorts, a look at the shadows cast on the wall of the things I haven't seen.

The avoidance of the daily news continues as does life.  Most of my friends and neighbors have gotten into the swing of things.  They will start a query with.... "Did you read about the thing is Tribecistan?" until they remember and say, "Oh, right, the news thing" and then we move on to something else.

From my perspective in the cave looking at the mere shadows of the news events, it is interesting to see what becomes word of mouth news, which eventually I end up hearing.  The tragic events in Japan were, of course, quickly discussed on a person to person level and so I heard a good bit about those sad happenings.  Interestingly, the recent royal wedding in Old Blighty had even greater word-of-mouth buzz than the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.  I have heard as much on the street about Kate's diet to fit into her dress as I have about radiation from the Japanese nuclear reactor.

Since the end is coming this weekend, it doesn't really matter, but I have not risen from my bed irradiated nor have I lain awake at night and wondered just how Kate did manage to slither into that gown.  In the context of my experiment as to whether the not listening to the news will make me happier, I would have to assert that in this case, yes it has.

Some news is unavoidable, such as the laborious and inexorable countdown to Oprah's last show.  I have to flee the house to miss out on that.

An obvious blessing derived from avoiding the news is the absence in my life of the pre-pre-election shenanigans for the 2012 presidential race.  Donald Trump and Newt Gingrich?  Seriously?  I would have to say that given the choice between living amongst a populace that would elect either of these buffoons or joining up with Harold Camping and company for the final departure on Saturday, I would have to settle for option two.

Wait a minute.  If the hard core believers are vanishing on May 21st, won't that greatly alter the balance of voters in America?  Hey, maybe I should stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment