Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day # 169 No Reason

I have maintained the news boycott almost half of a year.  Regardless, some things quickly become known without the benefit of the news media.

According to President Obama, Osama Bin Laden is dead.  Within hours of the event I had heard about it by means of an email from a friend.

I gather that there is celebrating occurring in some quarters.  I cannot imagine why.  The world will not be a safer place tomorrow because of this.  Regardless of how justifiable it might seem, the government sanctioned killing of anyone should be cause for sombre assessment, not celebration.

Whether you believe that war is terror or that the USA is at war with terror, nothing will be fundamentally change because of the death of one individual.  Osama Bin Laden alive was a bogey man that the advocates of the war on terror could hold up as an object of fear and hatred.  Now others can hold up the same man as a martyr to their cause.  Live bogey man or dead martyr, either is just a focal point to deflect from the larger events of a collision of cultures.

While I do not mourn this man's death I find not reason to celebrate it.

1 comment: