Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day # 296 Critters

Deer are liars.

I know, they are sweet looking and have convincingly large eyes, but make no mistake:  they are treacherous. Last evening I found my same doe and fawn patrolling the estate.  I have had gentle conversations with them about staying away from the blueberries but helping themselves to the apples.  The fawn just stares at me, sneaking peeks at moms to try to figure out the cues.  The doe does her "Yeah, yeah, I know, I know man, you got it..." while looking at me askance.  She does her best charming deer routine and then when I go back in the house they start munching away.

To their credit, they have left my precious blueberries alone.  The furry little bastards did eat my tomatoes.  Who would have thought that deer would pilfer my one cultivated crop when there are apples by the dozen to be had?  Right now the squirrel is going insane harvesting the walnuts behind me.  Do I care?  No I do not.  There are lots of walnuts and the little maniac is welcome to them.  But not my 'maters, dammit!

I trundled the potted tomato into the newly cleared out greenhouse in an attempt to preserve what is truly mine.  Damn furry bandits.  But the damage has been done.  Next year, next year echoes the sorrowful cry.

Arriving home today I had to stop short in the driveway so as not to hurt the lovely little garter snake sunning itself in the early autumn warmth.  Its true, my small slithering friend is sensing the waning of summer and feeling of crisp fall in the night air.  I strung up the hammock today, almost predictably, between an ancient apple tree and a fence post, so I could savor the inching away of summer first hand.

My next task in tending to my tribe of critters is the filling and placing of the many bird-feeders I found whilst clearing out the aforementioned greenhouse.  I have all manner of ways to make my winged friends more comfortable and well-nourished and I intend to do just that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment